Saturday, August 29, 2009

Payment from Shaggy's Shack

Having talked with shaggy about the keywords and him consequently revising the word count to 250 and the keywords to better ones, and to the option of no keywords required, I figured I'd try the website out. I didn't really feel like writing a story, so I wrote about the shag shack. I talked about Jenny's Crownz website and work-online.org.uk (which is taking forever to process the last few stories that I need to make cashout!) and commented on how it would be nice if there was a word-count included on shaggy's site (I googled around and found a site that did it and used that to count the words); to my pleasant surprised, my suggestion was taken, and now the writing page includes a word count. ^_^ Cool!

When payments are made and what the minimum for cashout is, is a tad uncertain (and towards being better than being worse). The minimum is said to be two stories (or $0.40); I just wrote one story and got the $0.20 (with no fees!).

Here is the reason for not being sure when cashouts are made:

"
Admin: Payments sent, please check your paypal's.
30 Aug 09, 10:11
Admin: Ok well I am going to send cashouts instantly, so everyone who has already made money, you'll be receiving your money too
30 Aug 09, 10:00
shyguy76767: I doubt people would ask that you not include that.
30 Aug 09, 08:42
shaggy: So when you get a story approved I send the cash out.
30 Aug 09, 08:42
shaggy: How would you guys feel if I made cash out instant?
"

The trend, however, is toward faster payments. I'm assuming that it's on an "as soon as I can" basis. It is probably that the reason I got the payment after only one story as opposed to two is that this site is new, and shaggy is trying to figure out how he wants to do stuff, and paying people is better than delaying payment.

My main concern with the site is, like with Jenny's, sustainability. I don't know how he's making money, and it's my guess that he's taking out of pocket. And while that might benefit writers right now, it is, ultimately, to their detriment, since eventually there won't be, as it were, job security.

No comments: